Quinoa Veggie Burger
Makes 8 burgers
Note: Individually wrap and freeze cooked burgers for up to 3 months.
Set aside one burger for lunch on day 7.
For the best flavor, toast nuts before adding to recipes. Spread whole nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. For chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
• 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup whole pecans, toasted and finely chopped (see Tip)
• 1/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
• 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 8 small whole-wheat burger buns, toasted if desired
• 1 cup water
• 1/2 cup red quinoa
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 1 cup diced onion
• 2 cups finely chopped cremini or white button mushrooms
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
• 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 large egg
How to Make:
1. Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer,
cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, marjoram and oregano; cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
4. Beat egg in a medium bowl. Add the quinoa, mushroom mixture, cheese, pecans, oats and
soy sauce; stir to combine. Scoop scant 1/2-cup portions of the mixture onto the baking sheet and shape into 8 patties, about 3 inches wide, leaving about 1 inch of space between each patty. (The mixture will be crumbly; patting it into burgers on the baking sheet makes it easier to work with. The burgers hold together very well once baked.)
5. Bake the burgers until crispy, 28 to 30 minutes. Serve on buns with your favorite garnishes.
To Your Success,
Health Journalist, Marketer, & Life Architect
P.S. To Discover How A Woman Suffering from Post-Partum Depression, On Food Stamps, and living with friends & family is Now Earning Over Six Figures A Month just by sharing her story, go here NOW! => Total Life Changes